NYPD cop Alyssa Vogel, who aided Skye Martinez in shooting, raises money for family


The NYPD officer who carried a 4-year-old girl to an ambulance after she was shot in Times Square earlier this year has continued her acts of heroism, raising $3,000 for the girl’s family as she recovers from her injuries.

Officer Alyssa Vogel helped save the life of 4-year old Brooklyn native Skye Martinez, who was waiting in line with her family at Line Friends in May when she was hit by a stray bullet from a gunman arguing with three others.

Vogel invited Skye and her family to visit her Midtown precinct on Friday. There, she presented them with a check and organized a special visit from one of NYPD’s mounted units, Little Joe.

“We were surprised when officer Vogel called us,” said Sonya Martinez, the girl’s mother. “When we showed up at the precinct the officers were very kind. They hugged us and my daughter petted the horse.”

Alyssa Vogel
Alyssa Vogel helped save Skye Martinez after she was hit by a stray bullet while waiting on line outside of Line Friends.
Alyssa Vogel
Alyssa Vogel invited Skye and her family to the Midtown precinct, where the cop presented them a check for $3,000.

“Later when we got home she kept talking about the horse and how big he was.”

Vogel raised the money online through Fund the First, a fundraising website for first responders, in a campaign she began in May just after the shooting.

“We are very grateful to the officers for all they did for us that day, and for not forgetting us,” Martinez said.

Dramatic bodycam footage from the scene showed the moment Vogel, a mother of an infant boy, instinctively grabbed Skye, before she sprinted down Broadway with the injured youngster and got her to the ambulance that took her to Bellevue Hospital.

“I kept telling her to breathe and that her daughter was going to be OK,” Vogel said after the rescue. “I kept trying to calm her down because she was obviously very scared.”

Two other innocent bystanders were also injured in the shooting.

The gunman, Farrakhan Muhammad, 31, was arrested days later by US Marshalls near Jacksonville, Florida after fleeing the state with his girlfriend.

Source link